After my DIY Colored Jeans post, I still had five or six pairs of old jeans that were in need of some love. Unfortunately, not a single pair still fit. I managed to squeeze into them; they just cut off all circulation below my hips while simultaneously causing an “I need to pee now” sensation. But instead of giving them away, I decided to repurpose them, and so this little series was born.
This Week’s Project: First up is this DIY Braided Headband. I love headbands because I am still in the process of growing out my bangs, and headbands make it much easier to keep them in their place.
Additional supplies: Sewing Machine, thread, elastic, and an iron.
1. Measure your head (around where a headband would go.) Then measure just the length between the backs of your ears.
2. Multiply the length between the backs of your ears by 1.25. Cut three two-inch-wide strips of jean in that length. (For example, the length between my ears was 16. [16 x 1.25 = 20] I cut three 20-inches-long, 2-inches-wide strips, one from three separate pairs of jeans so I’d have three different shaded strips)
3. Fold one strip in half width wise, then iron in the crease. Open it and fold the edges into the center and fold it in half again, and iron it down. It should be 1/4 of the original width, with no rough edges similar to binding. Sew a line down the center of the strip. Repeat for all strips.
4. Pin the ends of one side of all three strips together. Braid the strips. Pin the other ends together.
5. Sew the ends of the braid together. I went back and forth over the line I sewed, several times. The finished braid should be very close to your behind the ears measurement.
6. Subtract your behind your ears measurement, from your total head measurement. Divide the result in half. This is your elastic’s length.(Mine was 22 inches (full head) minus 16 inches (behind ears) equals 6, divided by 2 equals 3.)
7. Cut your elastic. Sew each end of the elastic into the inside of each end of the braid. Make sure it fits, and adjust if necessary. Enjoy your new headband!